Traditional performance management and evaluation methods have been proven via numerous research studies to not provide the optimum benefits for employee well being in the long term.
- Performance management needs to focus on future behaviors
- It needs to be real-time, so that people can tune their focus at work
- It needs to feel fair – focused on the one individual and not “rank and yank”
- It needs to integrate into learning
- It needs to be reliable and not subjective
Ranking employees creates a system where except for top performers, most employees are the recipients of rankings that are frustrating and make them feel insecure. It’s just like a leaderboard where everyone except the top five feels they are underachieving. Additionally, there is something frustrating about past-focused ratings, people want to know how they are doing now in order to adjust themselves.
The Answer to this is Gamification for Performance Management.
- The need for timely, future-focused feedback;
- The removal of forced rankings
- Fair and transparent : Removing subjective biases
- Improved visibility and a forward focus.
Accountability and a Growth Mindset.